Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Candlelight Vigil - 1st Person!

My friend from high school, now an administrator at Virginia Tech, attended last night's ceremony and emailed.....

"(my wife) and I just returned from the candlelight vigil on the drill field...pretty moving. It is difficult for me to be objective having spent the last 7.5 years of my career in VT administration. However, I am sure that President Steger made what he thought was the best decision, based on the facts he had before him at the moment. We are all good "...second guessers." The majority of the community here is behind him. (my wife's) friend today commented that this guy had made up his mind that he was going to kill yesterday, and if the University had been in total lockdown immediately after the first two dorm murders, he would have gone to a store, an elementary school or somewhere else in Blacksburg that was not "locked down" and accomplished his evil plan. I am sure new Orwellian "Animal Farm" recommendations will arise nationwide for responding to mass murder threats on campuses from this experience.

I do know this...that seeing the response of the VT students, faculty, staff, and the citizens of Blacksburg to this terrible tragedy, has made me more proud than ever to be a HOKIE...."

Duke